The distillery was established in 1839 by entrepreneur Alexander Matheson and sold in 1867 to Andrew and Charles Mackenzie, who introduced the 12-horned Royal Stag logo. The distillery ran fairly smoothly until 1917, when the Royal Navy began using the fjords next to the distillery as a site for the production of deep-sea mines. In 1920, most of the winery was destroyed by explosions and fires caused by mine explosions.
The ensuing legal battle between Andrew McKenzie and the Royal Navy lasted more than five years, even reaching the House of Lords. It wasn't until 1960 that Whyte & Mackay, one of Dalmore's main clients, took over the distillery. As a significant contributor to W&M blended whisky, Dalmore's presence in the single malt whisky world over the years was limited to just 12 years. Recently, however, the range has expanded dramatically, with the core range including 12, 15, 18 and 25 years , as well as NV's professional and luxury offerings. Prices at the high end often exceed five figures.