Collection: Glenkinchie

Glenkinchie is located in the Kinchie Burn Gorge near the village of Pencaitland in East Lothian. It is about 15 miles from Edinburgh. The winery is located in farmland. Its origins date back to around 1825, when it was founded by brothers John and George Rate, and while there is no direct record, it seems likely that Glenkinchie was the Milton Distillery previously recorded in the area. The brothers probably renamed it around 1837. In 1853, Rate Brothers went bankrupt and the site was converted into a sawmill.

In 1881, the factory was rebuilt and whisky production resumed under the leadership of Major James Gray.
In 1969, the distillery stopped producing its own grain malts and became the Malt Whisky Museum.
The Glenkinchie brand was not known until 1989, when United Distillers began marketing under its Classic Malts brand.
Glenkinchie Distillery