The Lochnagar Distillery was built in the early 19th century by James Robertson. However, it was burned under suspicious circumstances in 1824. A second and third alternative distillery were built in 1826 and 1841 respectively and burned down, allegedly by illegal competitors. In 1845, John Begg founded and built "the new distillery, which is the foundation of the distillery in operation today.
The distillery received a royal mandate in 1848 when John Begg invited Prince Albert to tour the distillery from nearby Balmoral Castle, the Queen's residence in the Highlands. The next day, Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their three eldest sons visited the distillery. Three years after Queen Victoria's visit, the distillery was renamed the Royal Lochnagar Distillery. The distillery produces a relatively small amount of whisky, most of which goes to Johnnie Walker Black, Blue Label. In addition to Diageo for blending, the distillery also produces a standard 12-year-old single malt for sale, bottled at 40% alcohol.